Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mom! It's your fault!!

I bought it last Wednesday; iTunes stats tell me I have listened to it 103 times.  I'm on day seven and number six just synched in.  When i hear it, especially when being showered by beams of D, my gooseneck starts going, abs engage, ass swishes and the spring of the print turns into a contagious ricochet...

It's not innate; but, was taught.  Mitten humidity was low and the sun tea was perched on the deck when my mother handed over her stacks of wax; Chubby Checker was on top.  I popped that fast sped RPM disc on my turquoise cased puffy sticker covered turntable with curiosity.  The saxophones blared their low tones before layered with a tenor busting through with "Come on baby!  Let's do the twist..."  My mother was moving her hips, arms and legs in this contorted pulsing way across the shined linoleum as I just watched.  She was doing a move that plastered a gleaming grin on her face called The Twist.  She beamed a smile my way that encouraged this awkward skinny four eyed child to hit the floor with her.  As I moved the needle to the outer rim for a second time, though cramped in the gut, she showed me how to lift a leg, orbit the arms and pop the hip.

Mom loves music; my folks were lucky and grew up in Detroit when Barry Gordy was innovating American airways with a new sound, the Motown sound.  She did not bequeath her LPs, I found them and started exploring.  Dee Dee Sharp had the Philly sound; just as driving, hip defining, toe tapping and smile gleaming.  I asked Mom how to mash potato, she said, she had one better.  Mom placed the LP on her stereo turntable and cranked the knob.  "Come on baby, I need gravy..." her feet started doing this in and out motion.  As I mocked her movement, we were giggling and smiling when all of a sudden Dee Dee sang the word "Gravy" and mom started to pour it on!  Her feet moved to the metronome beat while her arms were moving in half speed pouring the gravy all over the mashed pile of supposed potato!

Mom, it's your fault that I have the courage and confidence to dance through a world filled with decisions, challenges, peaks and valleys.  With a smile and groove inherited from you, no matter impression, judgement or difference, I dedicate every move your way.  Until the next dance, I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Joey, not sure if you get these comments or not....but I need an actor for a role here in Portland on May 5th for a staged reading. Can you help us out? Rexmitchell111@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete