Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fairy Dusting #3 Karen Morrow, "Here she is Boy!"

The song "Funny Girl" by Styne/Merrill is in my ear and I can't help but wonder what story is being played out in the performers head as she emotes such tender fragility.  You see, Karen Morrow gifted me some tools that I had either forgotten or never knew.  Musical Theatre is theatre with music and it must not be forgotten.

This gorgeous woman, draped in a color (gold) which matched her heart and an ambiance that rivaled the sun in the sky, came strolling down Wilshire Boulevard.  As she approached I kept my joy inside for only seconds, because when she came through those doors and down the stairs; we greeted each other with musical theatre smiles that were only tamed as we took a sec to hug and kiss on the cheek.  I was meeting an inspiration and hopefully, a mentor.

What I had educated myself with YouTube clips, google searches and history books was coming true; the woman I saw, read and dreamed about was the real woman.  A genuine persona, conveyed in every performance, as actors we train continually towards.  A truism without falsehood or weakness, but confidence and eagerness.

In true Midwestern fashion, Karen had to be convinced that yes, a 30-something kid also from the Midwest, wanted to meet, learn and be taught by her.  Just as I was asked to accept what she told me during our lesson, I asked her to accept why I came to Santa Monica.  We both bowed heads with gentile smiles and giggled and accepted.

I don't want to talk about details because, well, I enjoy doing that over cups of decaf...  I will say this...  I began a friendship that is pretty dear to me.  I will cherish the experience and how it all came true; the simple way a letter can change a life and perspective of how one can look at the world and how a lesson in Musical Theatre acting can remind onself to be true and real in everything we do.

In 2004, I bought a one way train ticket and vowed never to go home, but promised myself to live the 1950's technicolor musical that I held so dear.  I'm doing it; and I will continue to follow my heart, dream the impossible and work hard making it happen. Sure, being a cockeyed optimist can be disappointing, but the reward and lesson learned when it's not, is amazing!

Sing a song and tap a toe; wherever you are and wherever you go!  Don't give up and don't stop dreaming; tomorrow may bring a purpose and meaning!



No comments:

Post a Comment